Eight Things Most Likely To Start A House Fire
A fire is one of the most dangerous and devastating things that can happen to your home. Most house fires are caused by something that could have easily been prevented. By staying on top of the main potential fire-starters in your home, you can be much more confident that your home will remain free of fire damage. At PRC Inc in the Riverside area, our restoration professionals deal with the results of fires on a daily basis. Below are a few of the causes of fires that they see most frequently.
Heating equipment rightly goes at the top of this list as it is one of the most common causes of fire damage. If you have a woodstove or a chimney you should inspect them regularly to make sure there aren’t any malfunctions that could lead to danger. Space heaters are another form of heating equipment especially prone to causing fires. They are nice to have during the winter months, but if decide to use one make sure that it is several feet away from the walls, drapes, bedding, or anything else that is flammable.
Frayed wiring, surge marks, and damaged cords are all indicates that you are at risk for an electrical fire. If you feel like you may have this problem but aren’t sure, or even if you just have an old home, you should have it professional inspected that everything is safe and up to standard.
Candles are literally an open flame in your house. Sure they smell great and contribute to the overall atmosphere of your home, but you should consider the risks before you use them. Even the smallest disturbance could cause a candle to fall and start a fire.
Appliances cause about 4 percent of house fires. You can decrease the chances of something malfunctioning and catch on fire by making sure it’s approved by the Underwriters Laboratories (UL). The UL has high safety standards, so you’ll know the appliance is well made.
Another way to keep appliances functioning properly is to never plug them into an extension cord or two-slot outlet. You should unplug everything when you’re away on vacation too, just in case.
The solution here is simple. If you smoke, do so outside and place your cigarette butts in water when you’re done with them.
There isn’t much you can do to prevent a wildfire of lighting from starting your home on fire, but you can take comfort in the fact that only 1.6 percent of house fires are brought on by natural causes.
Christmas tree fires are especially serious because they have a large fuel source in the true for the fire to grow large very quickly. Most of these fires are caused by broken lights or too near a proximity to a heat source. Don’t be afraid to get in the Christmas spirit with some Christmas tree lights, but make sure you do so with extreme caution, buy new or inspect your current lights, and always turn them off when no one is awake and near them.
Don’t forget to clean your vents and filters! They can get gunked up with lint, hair, dust, and other flammable residues that can catch fire.
Fortunately, you can prevent most house fires by taking care of these things. But we know that mistakes happen and sometimes things are just out of your control. In such cases don’t hesitate to contact us at PRC Inc in Riverside for 24/7 fire damage restoration response.