Emergency Fire Evacuation Planning
Both wildfires and house fires are unpredictable and chaotic. However, here in Riverside, we can make some preliminary plans to help lessen damage and destruction from fires.
First, Get Ready
Your home has a better chance of surviving a wildfire if you take the time to prepare early – but also prepare for the possibility of an evacuation. Wildfires may take a while to contain. If that is the case, you might be displaced for several days or even weeks. Make sure you prepare enough food, water, and other supplies to last the duration of the displacement. Of course, be sure to prepare and bring a supply kit containing basic household items that you might need in an emergency.
A basic emergency supply kit list from ready.gov is a good start:
- Water – one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food – at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food; 5000-7000 calories per person
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio with NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local (paper) maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
- Prescription medications
- Non-prescription medications such as pain relievers, anti-diarrhea medication, antacids or laxatives
- Glasses and contact lens solution
- Infant formula, bottles, diapers, wipes, diaper rash cream
- Pet food and extra water
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records saved electronically or in a waterproof, portable container
- Photos of Driver’s License, Passport, Insurance Policies saved to your phone
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person
- Complete change of clothing appropriate for your climate and sturdy shoes
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper to disinfect water
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates, paper towels and plastic utensils
- Paper and pencil
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
So as soon as the situation warrants it, grab the kit and get out! Cover-up to protect against heat and flying embers. Wear long pants, long sleeve shirt, heavy shoes/boots, a cap, a dry bandanna for face cover, goggles or glasses.
Locate your pets, get the leases on (or put them in the pet carriers) and take them with you. Get yourselves out of danger so that the firefighters can get to work.
There’s An App For That!
Cal Fire offers the “READY FOR WILDFIRE” mobile app for download.
Here you can find a checklist with steps for:
- Taking charge of your Defensible Space
- Hardening your home
- Creating an evacuation and family communication plan
- Assembling an emergency supply kit
- Evacuating early!
During fire season, use the tool to receive customized wildfire texts or push notifications
You can get alerts based on your chosen zip code or within 30 miles of you. Stay updated about current wildfires, such as size and containment percentage, plus view maps of all current fires.
PRC Restoration Inc.
At PRC Restoration, we understand how stressful it can be to worry about repairing fire damage at your home. When disasters strike, our professional team is available 24 hours a day. At PRC Restoration, our technicians are trained to identify structural risks and address instability issues until permanent repairs can be made.
PRC Inc is a full-service licensed general contractor in the Riverside area. We provide emergency services, mitigation, structural repairs and construction services. PRC Restoration Inc. is an industry leader in both commercial and residential disaster recovery, with over 20 years of meeting and exceeding our client’s expectations. For service in Riverside and all of Greater Los Angeles, call 855-906-3757 or visit prcinc.com