Fire Damage: What To Do
Property fire disasters are traumatic for both the persons involved and, obviously, the structure. Fire-related damage almost always includes major smoke damage, damaged personal items, exposure to outside elements and structural damage, to name a few. The fire damage cleanup process is almost always dangerous and tedious! So where do you start?
Contact A Local Professional
There are individuals who have been specially trained to assist with fire damage clean up. Do not attempt to begin the clean up process without first having a professional come and assess the damage. They will have the equipment to diagnose and ensure a safe and reliable cleanup process.
Attempting to begin the cleanup process has its risks. Some of those include, but are not limited to:
- Injuries due to structural instability
- Harmful airborne particles
- Lack of proper safety equipment
Ask About Services
Companies, such as PRC Inc in Ventura County, offer a variety of post fire damage services such as:
- Contents pack out and storage-Professionals come and personally pack out all personal belongings before the cleanup process AND provide storage for the duration of the cleanup.
- Board up services-It is extremely important for the structure to be boarded up as soon as possible after a destructive event. Because of the damage, the building is prone to further damage from: weather, burglary, vandalism, etc. This process involves placing large sheets of plywood, and tarps, over openings to prevent the entrance of water, and unwelcome guests.
- Smoke damage/odor removal-With fire comes smoke. They are the inseparable pair. Unfortunately, smoke has a tendency to sink into objects and linger, coat walls and ceilings, and release harmful chemical debris into the air. Fortunately, there is help! Request that the professional aid in sanitizing and deodorizing the affected areas.
These are just a few of the services offered. Whatever the problem, professionals will keep you in good hands.
Fire Prevention Techniques
It’s never a bad idea to stop a disaster before it happens, right? Here are few tips to consider:
- Test smoke alarms regularly
- Keep stovetop and oven clean
- Never leave the kitchen while using a heat source
- Use caution with candles. Be aware of surroundings, especially if there are children and/or pets present.
- Regularly clean out dryer lint trap
- Be wary of what surround heater vents, especially when using space heaters.
- Check electrical cords often. Frayed cords are a fire hazard and should be promptly removed and replaced with undamaged cords.
- Keep multiple fire extinguishers handy
- Store flammable chemicals properly (not in spaces that become excessively hot).
3 Ways To Extinguish A Kitchen Flame
- A regular old fire extinguisher (always point toward the base of the fire).
- If it’s a grease fire, DO NOT THROW WATER ON IT. This will only make the fire worse. Smother the flame with a lid, a wet towel/cloth, or dowse it in baking soda and promptly turn the stove off if the flame was in the way before.
- If the oven is on fire, close the oven, keep it closed, and turn the oven off. Fire feeds off oxygen. When oxygen is blocked out, the fire ceases to burn. If this isn’t the case, contact the fire department.
Although fire damage can be preventable, accidents happen. Take these tips, tricks, and advice into consideration and regularly review fire safety on your own, and with your family. If you do experience a disaster, don’t be afraid to call PRC Inc in Ventura County immediately to get the help that you need.