Dealing With Fire Damage The Right Way
Fires are some of the most devastating events. There have been many fires in Ventura County, and many residents have spent time fearing for their homes and/or businesses. With any fire damage restoration needed, professionals like those at PRC are ready to jump in and take care of the problem allowing you to get back to normal, everyday life. Luckily, many fires can be prevented!
Fire Damage Prevention In Ventura County
- Always be aware of your surroundings! In this world, most items around us are flammable.
- Store lighters and lit candles in high up places, away from children and pets.
- Be sure to research fire rules and regulations in the area.
- Do not park running cars on dry, dead grassy areas. Many major wildfires have begun due to this type of incident.
- Extinguish candles before leaving the house, or exiting a room for a long period of time.
- Remember to clean the dryer lint trap before each new load.
- Watch where you store and use gasoline
Kitchen fires are one of the most common causes of house fires.
- Be responsible when cooking with oil. If oil is heated to too high of a temperature, it can begin burning and catch on fire. IF THIS HAPPENS: Do NOT throw water on it. This will agitate the flames and explode the oil, resulting in a bigger fire. If able, turn off the heat source, and place a lid or damp washcloth/dish towel over the flames. If the flames get out of control, exit your home and call 911 promptly.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Be sure nothing flammable is near the stove top while cooking.
- For the safety of your children, never leave panhandles sticking off the side of the stove. Turn them inward and away from small reaching hands. Many severe burn incidents every year occur from children pulling hot food and liquids onto their soft skin from atop the stove.
Fire damage restoration specialists, like those at PRC in Ventura County will begin with an assessment of the damage. A major part of this assessment is identifying any structural damage to the home. Structural damage poses high risk to anyone who enters the building.
Next, they’ll remedy smoke, soot, and water damage. Smoke seeps into walls, creating a smoky smell that is difficult to get rid of. Soot leaves dark residue on all surfaces affected. The fire damage professionals will scrape and clean soot off the affected materials and leave your surfaces looking like they did before the fire incident. This sometimes involves replacing sheetrock and baseboards. Water damage may occur in the process of extinguishing the flames! That’s not something we usually associate with fire damage. If you think about it, fire response teams spew gallons of water INSIDE the building. That is, of course, good for the flames, but not so much for the rest of the real estate. If you find yourself needing fire damage restoration, be at peace now you’re in good hands! There are a lot of individuals just waiting to help.