Kitchen fires are the leading cause of fire damage in homes. Because of how frequently we use the kitchen, and the high heats we use to cook our food, it is no wonder that kitchen fires are such a huge threat. So, how can you reduce the risk of a kitchen fire causing damage to your home? We at PRC would like to offer some tips to help keep you, your kitchen, and your Riverside home, at a lower risk of fire damage.
Do not leave cooking food unattended. If an appliance is on and is hot, it should not be left unattended. From stove tops, crock pots, to ovens, do not leave appliances on if you are not able to attend to them while in use.
Keep your cooking equipment clean. Empty the crumb tray in the toaster, wipe out the microwave, clean the oven, and then keep them clean. Do not cook on a dirty stove top. Build up on the stove can begin to heat and smoke, and could become flammable. It is much easier to play keep up than catch up when it comes to cleaning your kitchen appliances.
Do not leave electric appliances plugged in when not in use. Mixers, coffee makers, toasters, and blenders continue to draw electricity when they are plugged in, even if they are not turned on. Any time there is an electric current present, there is potential for fire. As wiring gets old, it can become faulty and faulty equipment increases risk of fires. It is better safe than sorry; just unplug appliances when they are not in use.
Do not put metal in the microwave. Metal will begin to spark as it heats in the microwave, which can turn into a fire (not to mention cause serious damage to the microwave).
Use extra caution when lighting a burner on a gas stove. You should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions, and make sure that the area is clear from all flammable objects when lighting. If you smell gas at any time other than ignition, immediately turn off the appliance and get it checked.
Do not overfill pots or pans with oil or grease. When grease or oil heats up, it pops and splatters onto nearby surfaces and objects. This splatter can cause serious burns, and can also ignite fires. If a grease fire starts, DO NOT USE WATER to attempt to put it out! Water and grease do not mix. Use flour or baking soda to pour over the flames. If you have a lid to the pot and the flames are not too big, you can cover them with the lid to put out the fire. Grease fires can easily get out of control, so be sure to be safe and aware when cooking with grease, and know how to properly put out a grease fire.
Keep flammable objects away from the stove. Dishtowels, hot pads, and paper towels can easily catch fire if they are left on or near the stove. If you have long sleeves on, or if you have long hair, keep them out of the way while cooking. Anything dangling near the stovetop is also at risk of catching fire.
Even if you follow all the above advice, and use extreme caution while in the kitchen, fires could still start in your home. Fire damage is devastating, and you shouldn’t handle restoration on your own. PRC Restoration specializes in emergency property restoration, and is equipped to handle all aspects of fire damage cleanup and restoration – including full reconstruction. We are available 24/7 to respond to your fire damage restoration needs in Riverside and surrounding areas. You can rely on our team to respond quickly, clean up the damage, and restore your home.
Get In Touch With Us
Headquarters PRC Restoration Inc. 23839 Banning Blvd. Carson, CA 90745
Rancho Cucamonga Branch 8740 E White Oak Ave. Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
PRC Restoration Inc. is a full service disaster restoration and home remodeling company serving Greater Los Angeles. We provide quality water damage restoration, mold removal and remediation, interior and exterior remodeling, and much more. Our experts are fully trained and certified to handle all types of restoration issues, and we can provide you with a quality solution to your problem.